Research by Kantar Worldpanel on shopper trends
10 November 2010
Kantar Worldpanel monitors the grocery retailer take-home purchasing habits of 3,000 demographically representative Irish households. Detailed information is collected on the purchasing habits of these households.
This data provides very valuable information relating to consumer purchasing patterns and behaviours in a market which is an important area of expenditure for all consumers, given that the average household in Ireland spends approximately one fifth of its total weekly expenditure on groceries.
A recent presentation by Kantar to the National Consumer Agency gives a summary update of grocery and shopper trends up to 3 October 2010.
The presentation examines:
- The total spend in the grocery market
- A comparison with trends in previous years
- The number of stores visited by consumers
- Branded and own brand market shares
- Some comparable data for the UK grocery market
Some of the key findings include:
- The total grocery market continues to come out of decline, with value growth for the latest 12 weeks now at 1.2%
- Private label has grown share steadily over the last 10 years and appears to have stabilised at a third of market share
- Discounters continue to grow. In the last 10 years they have acquired 9.6% of the market share in value terms, and 13.4% of volume
Download the Kantar presentation (MS PowerPoint, 907KB)